Home » Uncategorized » Lockdown, a personal account of the first 100 days for a Parkinson’s sufferer.

Lockdown, a personal account of the first 100 days for a Parkinson’s sufferer.

It looks like after more than 7 years of using Word Press to write a blog there will be changes which means I am unable to continue in the same way. During those 7 years I have written about 90 blogs, had 13,250 views from 104 different countries. This blog is a summary of life since the arrival of the Corona Virus and not a lot has changed since that, I hope to be able to provide updates in the future, but not as often.
On Monday March 23rd 2020 the day began as normal. A Pilates class followed by coffee and a catch up with the girls. We talked about what was happening with the new virus but none of us expected it to affect us much. How wrong could we be! That evening Boris Johnson addressed the nation which brought home the gravity of the situation. Suddenly our lives would change, maybe for ever.
I had a good routine going each week which I felt gave me confidence to cope with the Parkinson’s that I had been diagnosed with nearly eight years ago. Swimming, choir, Pilates, badminton and the Dance for Parkinson’s classes in London , all helped. I could even manage the weekly shop and the complexities of the new parking machines but now it seemed that everything I enjoyed had been cancelled. I did feel some anger that I was being robbed of time when I was fit enough to try new things and travel the world.
We usually helped with our young grandson, who recently moved back from Australia. Even that was not possible in those early days, how I missed both him and my daughter. It was not easy for her and the millions of other mum’s to
work from home with a lively toddler wanting attention.
In those early times one of the few things you could do was some exercise. That daily walk was a highlight. Amazing how many local paths you could find and try. Spring was upon us and watching new leaves and bluebells appear was magical; the power of nature.
My Pilates teacher began putting a weekly class on YouTube which was another exercise I could then follow. It is a great help but not the same without the gossip and banter after a live session!
Gradually, very gradually, a glimmer of light began to appear and we could meet with a small group of friends outside. The Monday group could meet at a local recreation ground bringing chairs and flasks and sitting in a circle, suitably distanced.
I found that English national ballet we’re offering a virtual monthly class led by Kate and Matt whose classes I had so enjoyed before the virus struck. Hopefully one day they may start up again and it will feel safe to catch a train to London.
The coming of “bubbles” has meant that my husband and I can see and even stay with our daughter and grandson. We have met up, outside, with our son and daughter-in-law, emotional times!
The National Trust has recently opened its gardens which allows us to enjoy the wonders of nature and provides a real boost to morale
And finally, to make you laugh tune into a short video by Paul Mayhew Archer, who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s eight years ago; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-oxfordshire-52127654/coronavirus-paul-mayhew-archer-on-living-with-parkinson-s-and-covid-19 .
He looks to find humour between his condition and the corona virus.
Stay safe
Elspeth McKenzie


3 thoughts on “Lockdown, a personal account of the first 100 days for a Parkinson’s sufferer.

  1. Dear Elspeth,

    Your account of the first 100 days of the lockdown was very poignant. All the things that we appreciated but thought would always be there have suddenly been stopped. It has been particularly important for you as you have been so instrumental in finding ways of living with Parkinsons.
    There have, of course, been positives. The weather was kind for many months and those of us who enjoyed walking in the countryside found a number of previously undiscovered paths. The birds were so noisy this year without the drone of overhead aircraft. We spent coffee and tea breaks sitting in our garden admiring the view and the loveliness of our garden. We watched a magpie dunk a piece of stale bread in the bird bath before he was able to eat it. He even left it for about ten minutes to soak and become really soft!! It was interesting seeing two woodpeckers on our larch tree, one pecking and the other (obviously the female, according to John) supervising. They haven’t returned, though they pecked away for about 20 minutes. Last week I was amused to watch a squirrel lying on our beech hedge with one of our sunflower heads in its hands busily munching away. It practically consumed all the seeds before disappearing. A second squirrel wasn’t so brave. It climbed through the middle of the hedge and pulled a sunflower through the hedge to munch in private. Since then all the old sunflower heads have disappeared but I haven’t seen the thief.
    The winter will be more difficult. We have decided to visit all the places on the Thames Walk from the source to Marlow. We did the whole walk with friends a while ago but were so busy walking we didn’t stop to explore the places we were walking through. We will wrap up and take a picnic and enjoy exploring – as long as we are allowed to drive!!!!!
    It is always good to hear from you and to keep up with your activities. Weren’t we lucky to have been able to travel so much – lots of lovely memories.

    Keep positive and keep safe.
    Love to you both
    Frances xx


    • Dear Frances, It was so lovely to read your observations about nature around you during the summer. I wonder if your cheeky squirrels are still around? I hope you have started a diary,

      Your project for the winter sounds a great thing to do. Funnily enough we were in Windsor a few days ago. Way back in January we won a raffle prize for a night away at a 4 star hotel in Taplow with dinner thrown in too. Forecast was terrible but we had no rain and enjoyed a two hour trip on the river, a shopping browse and a trip to a NT garden. It was our first trip away from home and perhaps our last for a while!

      We see a lot of Laura and Henry which is lovely and he has a sleepover once a week here when she catches up with work and sleep and we have Sunday lunch together.

      We have been wondering how Sue and Jeff are finding life?

      Take care Love Elspeth

      Sent from Elspeth’s iPad.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s